Friday, January 26, 2007

BGCM Annual Meeting Line-up

This has to be a record for me--two posts in one day. I'll confess that I am not the most prolific of writers when it comes to blogging, though I do read several in my spare time and enjoy commenting on them occasionally. On Wade Burleson's blog yesterday, there was considerable discussion about women in ministry and several commenters (though not all) observed some similarities in the dismissal of Sheri Klouda from SWBTS and the earlier dismissal of Molly Marshall from SBTS. To their credit, several writers urged bloggers to judge Marshall on the basis of her writings and firsthand knowledge of her rather than repeating second-hand rumors.

I'm pleased to pass along the information that Molly Marshall will be leading the Bible study times at the annual meeting of the Baptist General Convention of Missouri in Jefferson City on April 13-14. I'm certain that some will find that objectionable, even as a few expressed concern last year when the daughter of Billy Graham, Anne Graham Lotz, was our keynote speaker on Friday evening of our annual meeting. Personally, I'm grateful that the BGCM is willing to recognize that God has gifted men and women alike for ministry and look forward to hearing Dr. Marshall again.

Other program personalities this year include my former boss at the FMB, Dr. Keith Parks; Dr. Lance Watson, Senior Pastor at Saint Paul's Baptist Church in Richmond, VA; and Dr. Daniel Carro, a former teaching colleague at the International Baptist Theological Seminary in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Daniel is currently a professor at the John Leland Center for Theological Studies in Arlington, VA and is heavily involved in the work and ministry of the Baptist World Alliance.

Our program line-up reflects the same gender and racial diversity as last year's annual meeting when we had a woman, an African-American pastor, and a Latino among our featured speakers. For more information about this year's annual meeting, just click on the link above in the second paragraph. I'm excited about hearing each of these and being able to report as well on our partnership with the Guatemalan Baptist Convention.

1 comment:

Todd Nelson said...

Hey Gary,

I saw what you posted on Dwight McKissic's blog about Dr Gray. I looked for an email address for you on your blog and profile but couldn't find one. So I'm posting a short message here

You were Dr Gray's grader? What years was that? My wife worked part-time in his Chair of Prayer office for a while; and I was Justice Anderson's grader around 1984-86. I suspect you were just a bit before my time. I ended up doing the PhD in missiology with "Justo", Danny Sanchez, Ebbie Smith, and Roy Fish ('87-'90). Those were stimulating and formative years. We also remember Dr Gray fondly -- and Dr Cal Guy.

Maybe you could email me? I'd like to chat just a bit more. My address is available at my blog profile. Thanks.

Blessings on your work in Missouri,
Todd